Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ragged Edged Design on visual identity

 Ragged Edged Design talk about the way they work, in the very terms used in our brief. 


Where they say they 'don't follow trends', it makes me think of Nike. Nike still have their original logo, yet I find a lot of their advertisements of sorts come from cultural aspects and and brought forward into popular or dominant culture as something seen as new and people catch onto it. They have so many ad's and bits and pieces that make their brand so successful. I think they tap into peoples personal thoughts at times, making them feel like they relate to you etc.

So this Massey building needs to feel like it belongs there and relates to what people go to Massey Wellington for (look into what Wellington culture is). I have some American flat-mates and they spent a few days in Auckland before coming here, and noticed the difference between Aucklanders and Wellingtonians almost instantly. So what is the big difference that makes Wellington so unique as a part of NZ. Why come here to study instead of other places? What's the pull factor?

For me the first part was that I was keen to get away from home, and I was from Hamilton, so Auckland was a bit close and I wanted to go somewhere new and exciting, have a sense of independence away from everything I knew. I'd also heard how good the design degree was in Wellington and I loved how broad it was. How many million times while at high-school do you get asked what you want to do when you finish school? What do you want to study? What do you want to do with your life? It's like it's one set fixed decision. But coming to Massey simplified that option. I like making things, I enjoy photography and design.. and at Massey you don't need to pick a solid option. The building should reflect each area of the creative arts so everyone within the school and visiting the school can relate to it in some way.

I knew once in the degree I would be able to learn more about each part of design and find what excited me the most. That was definitely a pull factor, in fact I didn't even apply for the local uni as they had a course called computer graphic design which is a lot more code and much more digital orientated. I chose a 4 year degree instead of 3yrs, and a bigger student loan, because I didn't like the sound of sitting in front of a computer all day. Even though we do spend a lot of time at computers, we still have classrooms with no computers and we can take our projects any direction we like to make them more hands on if that's what suits. I feel like Massey is teaching us to think, not how to use a computer program, they are just the skills we pick up a long the way. Is that something which is important to show in some shape or form as well?

(and yes i tend to get lost in my thoughts sometimes blogging, going on tangents etc. but I figure it might help me out later on when I'm stuck for ideas or get a bit lost and need to remember where all my thinking came from). - hence the tag 'my thinking'

No comments:

Post a Comment